The community of Swiss higher education wants to bring federated identity management to the next level. Therefore SWITCH is working on a new centralized and user-centric identity management solution, available to higher education and third-party service providers, across organizational boundaries.
To clarify strategic design options and the best way to go forward, SWITCH initiates a Request for Information (RFI) today. Interested vendors or integrators find here the RFI document which also includes important administrative information.
- Questions about the RFI must be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org until Tuesday, 11 November 2014
- Clarifications will then be sent in an anonymised form to all RFI participants by 14 November 2014
- Participating companies are kindly asked to hand in their answers by e-mail to email@example.com until Friday, 28 November 2014
Based on the insight gained from the RFI responses, SWITCH may hand in a project request to actually be able to acquire and build the new system.
One of the first important steps towards Swiss edu-ID is the High Level Architecture. The document builds the general frame for the future system design.
The High Level Architecture describes the envisaged future identity management solution of the SWITCH Community (see also summary/flyer). Both documents are available in our document section.
A group of nine IdM specialists out of the Swiss HEI’s contributed to the description of
- basic concepts
- trust, privacy and security principles
- stakeholders and roles
- Identity Management service for Swiss Higher Educationand and
- the Swiss edu-ID Architecture
It is well understood, that collaboration does not stop at national borders. Special care is taken to stay open to future developments to scale internationally and not to introduce incompatibilities with emerging trends and solutions elsewhere.
We invite members of Swiss Higher Education institutions, libraries and research institutions to participate in the project by contributing to one of these groups with their expertise and practical know-how:
- Mobile App Support
- Governance Model
- Business Model
Description of working groups (member profiles, goals, workload, approach)
Please contact us until end of August 2014 latest and let us know for what working group with an open call you would volunteer
(or to propose a person having the necessary experience for one of the groups)
Next events wih presentations of the Swiss edu-ID:
- Aug. 13: AAI TechUpdate & Swiss edu-ID Introduction
- Sept. 11: Project update at UNIL
- Sept. 25: Project update at UNIBE