SWITCH intends to fully deploy the Swiss edu-ID by the end of 2020, with almost all organisations migrated from SWITCHaai to Swiss edu-ID.
To this end, several organisations have already started, or will start migration strategy projects jointly with SWITCH. The aim of these projects is to plan the migration locally at the respective organisation as a first step.
An organisation which decides to start such a project should choose their most convenient time from a couple of possible dates (one starting point every year between now and 2020).
(details presented at update event in June)
This kind of projects might get funded by the program PgB5, which is organized by swissuniversities. The deadline for the next submission of projects is approaching (August 14, 2016).
Seven universities have already decided to start with the first step – the development of their own migration strategy by
- analysing the specific system landscape and services at their organisation with respect to identity management,
- evaluating additional benefits of a higher integration depth with the Swiss edu-ID (“migrated” or “integrated”),
- choosing an appropriate migration scenario and planning of migration steps,
- estimating the resource requirements of the migration, and
- drafting their organisational Swiss edu-ID migration project plan.
The desired output of those migration strategy projects will be migration plans – or drafts thereof – for each participating organisation. Such a plan can then be proposed to the management of the organisation. If the university management agrees, a subsequent migration project (step 2), possibly funded again by PgB5, can then be submitted, targeting at actually adapting the existing infrastructure to the Swiss edu-ID service.